Post: Compliance Manager
Grade: N/A – Ongoing training
Salary: £30,000 full-time
(potential for pro-rata, minimum 30 hours required)
Hours: Office Hours 37.5 hours p/w
30 minutes lunch break
20 Days (140 hours) holiday entitlement excluding Bank Holidays
Open Hours: Monday – Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm
Responsible to: Director – Mark Jones
Continuing our unrivalled reputation for excellent customer service is key to the ongoing success of Jones & Co here in Chesterfield. As such, maintaining our legal and ethical integrity is imperative. We’re seeking a Compliance Manager to oversee this requirement, ensure our company policy is followed, to the letter, and confirm our messaging and behaviour reflect the rules and regulations of the firm.
The position of in-house Compliance Manager focuses on overseeing the compliance throughout the business. The ideal candidate must be able to integrate seamlessly into an established, fast-paced working environment and be able to keep up-to-date with regulatory
changes. Attention to detail and the highest level of integrity is a must. You must also possess good keyboard skills, be a great communicator and able to offer constructive feedback to the business and our advisors. Punctuality & attendance are also important attributes.
Managing the Training & Competence (T&C) Scheme, you will need to:
- Conduct half yearly 1-1 reviews with the firm’s Financial Advisors and maintain good practices in managing the training and competency scheme
- Discuss any relevant training required, including knowledge gaps
- Keep up-to-date with regulatory changes and new legislation and communicate findings to advisors and staff within the firm
- Monitor Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and gather evidence this has taken place and is up-to-date at all times.
- Manage and oversee the business register and collate data for KPIs to use with 1-1 meetings and improve firm/advisor business mix (provider spread, product spread etc.) to maintain the very highest standards
- Be responsible and facilitate new advisor recruitment and the recruitment process. This includes CRB checks, application processing, qualification checks and background research including references and credit checks to follow companies and FCA procedure.
- Complete file checking procedures for all advisors. This includes being able to do file checks to firm level and ad-hoc more detailed file reviews for complex cases. You will be required to facilitate methods of random checking and also be able to feedback quality issues to the relevant advisors. Also, you must ensure that remedial action comments are carried out
- Carry out advisor observations to maintain professional standards to include within 1-1s and to give valuable feed back to the director
Compliance Oversight will include:
- Reviewing all client facing and internal compliance documents and keeping them up to date to FCA/Jones & Co requirements
- Liaising with Simply Biz and reading regular compliance updates, regulatory changes and being familiar with Simply Biz portal
- Building and maintaining a close relationship with the FCA to stay in contact with regulatory changes and developments and communicate these efficiently to the advisors
- Creating and maintaining due diligence documents for formal introducers and maintaining evidence and relevant regulatory documents and formal introducer agreements
- Filing appropriate compliance reports to regulatory agencies for example, bi-annual Gabriel Return to the FCA using data collated on the business risk register
- Attending seminars/regulatory events/compliance events to gain valuable knowledge of the industry and its requirements to uphold an ethical and compliance advice business model
- Helping collate valuable information to discuss at the quarterly business risk meeting
- Assisting with delivering the content of the business risk meeting with the director of the business
- Helping advisors in sourcing training courses and events to develop CPD
- Arranging/monitoring annual testing of advisors and reducing any knowledge gaps
Additional skills and tasks:
- Ensuring that all Jones & Co business marketing material, real time and non-real time, is accurate and compliant
- Monitoring the firm’s website for compliances issues and overseeing content
- Overseeing the business in the absence of the director and helping to monitor other staff within the business
- To analyse the results of the internal customer satisfaction survey be responsible for any improvements or amendments that need to be made
- To assist with the firm’s central investment process and developing innovative ways of doing business if efficiency can be improved. For example, research on RSMR portfolios multimanager funds and platform due diligence and reviews of the companies we use.
- To handle any client complaints according to the internal complaints procedure and ensure that the complaint is resolved promptly and compliantly
- To monitor advisors’ business registers and ensure they are up-to-date and fully compliant
- To proactively support the director with overall business HR function and co-ordinate recruitment policy and process